Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The First Month is Over

Well it’s been a month, and it’s been great, rough at some times but all around great. As I look back at my “first month” as a missionary, I try to think of the most important thing that I have learned while being here, so here we go. I read the other day in my little devotional something that really hit home for me. It said “God has graciously allowed some of my fears to come true so I would discover I would not disintegrate.” I think that this phrase was one of the biggest revelations that I have discovered while I was here.
My mom bought me this devotional that i am speaking of before I left; we both have one so that way we can read the exact same thing every day. I read it when I wake up and then I read the same page again before I go to bed. When I first read this particular entry in the devotional I immediately equated the word fear with something scary, like someone hurting me, or something bad happening to me physically, so at first I dismissed the phrase and devotion all together. As I sat down that night and read it I look at it more in-depth. The second time I read it I was thinking of fear in a different way. The fear of being alone. Now I realize that I have many people praying for me and keeping in contact with me, but when I say alone I mean being physically alone, by myself in another country, where I don’t know many people.
In that moment a light bulb turned on in my head. I started thinking about how God was showing me a fear of mine that I never really realized I had. Then in the same moment he made me realize that that fear would not break me at all, that it could not destroy or disintegrate me. As I sit back and think about all of things God has blessed me with over this past month I just sit here at my computer in utter amazement. He has kept me heathly, safe, full of food, and kept a roof over my head. All I can do is praise him for his mighty power and works. Now I once again ask anyone who reads this to continue praying daily for this island, the people of this island and myself. More to come

God Bless
Ross Jeffords

2 comments:

AMELIA said...

Hello love!

I'm so happy things are going well for you.
Keep updating so I can keep reading more!


Amelia

Anonymous said...

Aww ROSS!! I'm so excited for you and I cannot even describe how MUCH I miss you! I love you and You better come see me when you come to back to TN!